Is your garage door looking its worst from wear-and-tear? Does it not open or close properly? When your garage door isn’t up to par, merely repairing it can get expensive. It might not fix all of the issues and could be dangerous to use. If that’s the case, it’s time to replace the door. Not only will you be saving money with a brand new door, but you’ll have the opportunity to upgrade to the latest technology. Here are a few things to consider when it comes to buying the right garage door for your home.
● The Cost. Depending on the type of material and features you want for your door, it could range from about $750 to $5,000.
● Repair or Replace. Garage doors can last for years, but you still need to keep up with the springs and the motors. It’s an excellent time to replace your garage door when it’s no longer keeping out the outside temperature, the door opener is outdated, or updating the look of the door itself.
● The Lifespan of a Garage Door. When the door and the mechanisms have routine maintenance, they can easily last 30 to 40 years. This means a new garage door will end up saving you money in the long run.
● Picking the Style. Garage doors come in different materials to fit any style. Each element has its pros and cons, so it comes down to how much maintenance you’re willing to put in. The most popular would be steel and aluminum, with the wood coming in very close behind.
- Steel – As a thicker material is resistant to dents, and it can hold up to rot or warping from moisture. There’s also foam insulation sandwiched to help keep the inside temperature maintained.
- Wood – Wood is a gorgeous material giving your home a sense of elegance. It takes some maintenance to keep the surface protected from the elements and day-to-day use.
- Aluminum – These doors are popular because they’re more expensive than steel and wood, but it may not be as reliable. Aluminum can dent easily by things like basketball or football. It will also soak up the heat very quickly.
● Installing a Screen Door. A great feature to install is a screen door. It allows for airflow in the garage while you’re working, but it keeps out any bugs that might be interested in coming in.